February 03, 2013

Saturday Macarons

So remember last week how I told yo I failed miserably at macarons?

I might have left something else out...

I've never actually had or even seen a real live macaron.

I know, I know... but hear me out! I live in a tiny town with the nearest city being over 300km away! I've practically missed out on the whole fad, but hopefully some day soon I'll get to try a real one.

Until then I decided to try my hand at my own.

Now I know these didn't turn out perfectly, not too sure where I messed up, but I will be trying again and again and again until I get there!

Now even though these didn't turn out right, they're still super yummy!! So I'll still pass on the recipe and hopefully someone out there can make them properly and tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it!

... is there anyone out there?

See the holes by the "feet"? I think I messed up somewhere there...
Orange Creamsicle Macarons
Makes: ~ 40

Ingredients:
Macarons
2/3cup ground almonds
1-1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1tsp orange zest powder
3 large egg whites
3-1/2tbsp granulated sugar
orange food colouring gel

Vanilla Butter Cream
1/4cup butter
3/4cup icing sugar (or more depending on your desired consistincy and local humidity!)
Vanilla (to taste! I like mine VERY vanilla!)
1/2 an egg white

To make Macarons:
  • In a food processor blend the first 3 ingredients then sift into a mixing bowl.
  • In a clean, grease free bowl, whip egg whites with granulated sugar to form firm peaks.
  • Add colour whip into whites until just combined.
  • Add half the egg whites to the almond mixture and carefully incorporate until all the almond mixture is wet.
  • Gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
  • Pipe ~1inch macarons about an inch apart on parchment lined baking sheets (I ended up using 2 industrial half sheets).
  • Leave sheets to dry for about an hour (or until the tops are dry to the touch).
  • Bake at 300F for ~7 minutes. Rotate and bake again for another ~7.
  • Allow the macarons to cool on the baking sheet.
To make Butter Cream:
  • Cream butter and vanilla.
  • Add icing sugar and beat well.
  • Add in egg white and whip until desired consistency.
To assemble:
  • Pipe ~ a teaspoon of butter cream on on macaron shell and sandwich with another.
  • Try very hard to not eat them all.

Enjoy! And if there is actually anyone out there, please tell me why I didn't get gorgeous macarons like I see all over the internet!

Cheers!xoxo
-Shelly 

No comments:

Post a Comment