Because of the coop's (temporary) proximity to the two busy roads at the end of our driveway and the fact that I spend the vast majority of daylight hours away from the house during the week (leaving for work at 7am, returning between 5:30 and 6pm), I've decided that until it moves to a more permanent location in the back, I'd put up an outdoor enclosure.
|It's nasty, but it'll work!|
This coming weekend I hope to build a tractor to help the chicks transition to outside life (I can't believe how much they've grown in just a few days!!), and hopefully clear some trees in the back so the coop can be moved there and the ladies can enjoy foraging in the bush!
I also built a roost for the ladies, but after forgetting about a 2" ledge around the inside of the coop, the top rung of the roost is too close to the wall. I have proof that one of the girls did jump up there but it does need to come out a couple inches before they're truly happy on it!
|One chicken using the top, one using the bottom and a couple more checking out the production!|
Though the chickens have settled considerably in the couple days they've been here, I know they'll feel much better when there's a man looking over them. With any luck, Tracey will be bringing a gentleman home for them on the weekend... Then we'll really be chicken farming!