April 15, 2015

Chicken Coop Addition

And a very classy addition at that!

Because of the coop's (temporary) proximity to the two busy roads at the end of our driveway and the fact that I spend the vast majority of daylight hours away from the house during the week (leaving for work at 7am, returning between 5:30 and 6pm), I've decided that until it moves to a more permanent location in the back, I'd put up an outdoor enclosure.

It's nasty, but it'll work!
Quick and dirty, my dad helped me screw a few pallets together to give the birds some room to go out and stretch their wings, find some dirt and munch on some of the new grass popping up.

This coming weekend I hope to build a tractor to help the chicks transition to outside life (I can't believe how much they've grown in just a few days!!), and hopefully clear some trees in the back so the coop can be moved there and the ladies can enjoy foraging in the bush!

I also built a roost for the ladies, but after forgetting about a 2" ledge around the inside of the coop, the top rung of the roost is too close to the wall. I have proof that one of the girls did jump up there but it does need to come out a couple inches before they're truly happy on it!

One chicken using the top, one using the bottom and a couple more checking out the production!
In other news, I may be acquiring a rooster this weekend!

Though the chickens have settled considerably in the couple days they've been here, I know they'll feel much better when there's a man looking over them. With any luck, Tracey will be bringing a gentleman home for them on the weekend... Then we'll really be chicken farming!

No comments:

Post a Comment