July 06, 2015

Sunday Breakfast: Diabeties Edition!

What a weekend we had! Saturday was nice and HOT and Sunday was less nice and RAINY!

I spent my Saturday helping my dad bring a tractor home and then horseback riding with my mum. Max was a champ.... Zaira was a brat.

Sunday everyone (except myself) slept in (chickens don't let you sleep in... but I didn't mind!) so the Sunday breakfast was more of a brunch.... actually it was really more of a lunch... but it was well worth the wait!

These waffles are not for the faint of heart, that's for sure! The actual waffle itself is not overly sweet (if you ignore the cup of chocolate chips that goes into it...), making the chocolate sauce necessary, while the frozen yogurt and cherry pie filling makes it healthy.... I swear!

... ok so one serving (and I mean a while 4 section huge waffle with 3 scoops of vanilla frozen yogurt, cherry pie filling and chocolate sauce.... no one could manage a whole waffle, not even me!!) clocks in at about 920 calories... but it tastes SO GOOD!

You have been warned.


Oh lordy...


Black Forest Waffles

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (I didn't have any... and I didn't have any regular sized ones so I ended up using Hershey's Kisses... the slightly smaller ones that you can find in the baking section with the other chocolate chips... they worked just fine!!)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups your favourite milk (I used 2% cow this time but almond or coconut or goat or whatever you have on hand works!)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
Directions
  1. Preheat the your waffle cooker according to your own waffle cooker's directions
  2. In a medium to large sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, chocolate chips, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Whisk together the milk, eggs, and vanilla together in a large liquid measuring cup.  
  4. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, and stir just until combined.
  5. Add the melted butter and stir to combine
  6. Deposit batter on hot waffle iron according to how big your waffles are (I got 4 large waffles out of this recipe)
Top with vanilla frozen yogurt (or ice cream, or whipped cream...), cherry pie filling and chocolate sauce and attempt to eat it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment