March 25, 2015

The best sound in the world.

can you see the little flakes falling?

Do you ever get the feeling that there is just that one thing that must define your existence? When you bake that perfect loaf of bread? The ribbon you get for your prized pooch at the obedience show? The cold beer you crack Friday night after a long week of work?


Mine was this morning. That one moment that just sang 'Shelly' loud and clear was while I was at work sorting through the morning's inventory freight this morning.

Geese.

The first blessed honk of those beautiful beige, white and black honkers that derive their namesake from this wonderful country this season.

That sound to me means Spring is so close you can almost taste it. The long (seriously, guys, NWO winters begin in October and end in May, don't kid yourself this is a LONG season for us!) cold winter is almost behind us and summer, gardens, mosquitoes, camping, kayaking and sunburns is approaching.

It's a little hard to believe that spring is on it's way, especially on a day like today when the snow is falling and the temperature is following it down below zero... but when I heard that distinctive honking I was out the door and looking skyward as quickly as I could. I saw three geese.

I can't tell if they were stragglers or scouts but they were as real as the snowflakes landing in my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment