February 22, 2015

Weekends are the best time for breakfast...

I love breakfast foods.

Actually, scratch that. I love food. Pretty much all food in fact. But breakfast foods hold a special place in my heart.

Last winter when I was snowboarding every possible second (and with a small hill that's rarely open, that wasn't as much as I'd like) I got into the habit of making Sunday breakfast. Now I don't mean just bacon and eggs (mind you don't bash bacon and eggs, that's a classic) or oatmeal (refer to previous bracket), but I started experimenting. So I'm here to share with you this Sunday one of my Sunday Breakfasts (which I will happily continue as consistently as I can!)... Dutch Baby Pancake.

Now you've probably seen / had / made this before and might call it something different (Bismarck, German pancake, Dutch puff.... to name a few) but the recipe I followed called this a Dutch Baby Pancake so that's what she's called!

Dutch Baby, baby!!
Dutch Baby Pancake
Makes one 10inch skillet which serves two or three (...but I'm pretty sure I could eat the whole thing myself!!)
(Adapted from Camille Styles)

Ingredients
  • 3 Large Eggs
  • 2/3 cup Almond Milk (you could use regular cow milk... or probably any milk you like, but I like the taste of almond milk!)
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 2 tablespoons Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • 1 tablespoon Butter
Instructions
  1. Place skillet onto middle rack of oven and turn on to 450 degrees
  2. While oven and skillet are preheating, using a wire whisk, whip eggs until frothy and lighter in colour (about 2 minutes)
  3. Add milk, vanilla and sugar and whisk until blended
  4. Add flour, whisk until smooth and let rest while oven finished preheating
  5. When oven is to temperature, carefully remove hot skillet and add butter, swirling to melt and coat pan completely
  6. Carefully pour batter into melted butter (remember, pan is hot!!) and quickly pop back into the oven
  7. Set timer for 15 minutes and DON'T open that oven door!!! It needs the eat to stay in the oven to puff up! (I like my pancake a little crispier on top so I usually rotate the pan and give it another two minutes, but its ready when its golden and the center is set!)
  8. When done, remove skillet from oven, loosen pancake edges with a rubber spatula and carefully slide onto a plate.
  9. Cut into wedges and serve immediately with your choice of topping (I prefer a fruit compote or jam!)

If you try this recipe or have your own version, please comment! I'd love to hear about your breakfasts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment